Oddly, the end of the semester seemed the least climactic thing to come out of this weekend. Instead, K and I were ping-ponged between families and among events that left us happy but tired. 

I met much of K's extended family from exotic locals like Hawaii, Vegas, California and Alaska due to an unfortunately sad family event. The death of K's sweet Grandpa took its toll on his family but we tried to see the good in an excuse for everyone to come together. I loved meeting all the wonderful people in K's family and look forward to impinging upon their hospitality in the future as we get to visit them. 



We also spent time putting on soirees with my family for Mother's Day, Graduation and my Grandmother's birthday. Fun was had by all and of course, Nithi was pretty much the star of the show. It turns out she has really started to be won over by K, much to my delight. 





Another great thing about family time is the conversations it sparks. From nostalgic reminiscing to serious analysis of parenting, I found myself once again learning. I found out about the interesting twists and turns in the life of a man like K's Grandpa. A conversation with my mom and sister shed some light on what made my childhood different. K and I even got to talking about what is takes to be happy and how our personalities work together. 

So instead of reciting an exhausting litany of what will come this month, I wanted to think about the many armed, legged and tentacled creatures that everyone's families seem to be. Messy, fun, exhausting, thrilling, heart-wrenching and warming; I don't think there is a formula for families but it is hard to exist without them, however and whoever they are made of. 


One Comment

  1. Wonderful! I love our family and am thrilled to have gotten so much quality time with you and all the rest.

    ReplyDelete