This weekend was a very fun one. I have no pictures from the best part, but we had a lovely little pool party grill out with my fam as well as a visit from K's. The new place has a community pool and grills so we had tons of fun with everyone swimming and eating. I even made some fresh mango salsa that turned out pretty well. 

Unfortunately, everyone forgot cameras. For now, we must harken back to the pre-digital days and feel content with the words. Nithi and her Aji and Grandpa-Grandpa were having a blast. LP got to enjoy the extra hands without pining for her baby and K was a manly man at the grill and a kid at heart coloring with little Miss. It felt fun to finally be an adult in the family, with a place that is well put together enough to host a soiree. As the youngest child I have been waiting a long time to be able to be the one that has everyone over. I went to bed feeling my near 23 years finally haha. 

Also, we tried out one of our many local farmer's markets. Upon prompting K to swear up and down that this was not one of those things that would prompt him to want to complain to his friends later on with a sentiment reminiscent of "Women be draggin you to the Farmer's market", we got up bright and early, budgeted a few dollars of cash and went a shoppin. Good stuff, we only bought the stuff that was actually a deal and it has been very delicious so far. 


Also, updates on our apartment. We felt the sting of loss this week as my bright and happy fish Rudy Sprinkles Cluck Cluck already passed. I have never killed a fish, they have always lived to a happy old age. I have deduced it is probably due to the new bowl and thus, no more column fishy. Sigh. 

I haven't killed everything in the place though, look at our thriving plants! 





We've been making living progress as well, and after a too good to pass up sale on our futon that we've been waiting for, it came home with us and completed our apartment furniture. This is the only piece we bought, thank you to everyone who helped supply us:) 




Hi futon:) It nearly killed me with its behemoth weight, but now it lives with us quite happily. 


Our sunny room. 




Thanks Mom and Pop for the awesome barstools and Daddy-o for his old chair, it's the best! 




Thanks Lawrence friends for our table! 



Thanks roommate A for our bookshelf (yes, Alcatraz is still alive).

I am not longer in the throws of happiness over the weather, as the summer heat has rolled in like a down blanket in the desert. However, Spring is delightful but Summer is the real bounty and I am beginning to cook, not just bake. I always knew the basics from my Mom, the best in my opinion, but I was generally lazy and preferred raw simple foods anyway. But as my restaurant budget gets cut to nearly nill (thank goodness), I am finding it is fun to cook and make things up with what I've got (a trait my sister's wear much better). Who knows, there might be updates on my trials. 


6 Comments

  1. Woah, how is that a futon and not a couch? It looks like a full-fledge sofa to me!

    Your plants look fantastic-- way to go!

    Wish I could have joined you all for the poolside cookout fun. It sounds like a fabulously good time. Ah well, I'm sure there will be future opportunities to enjoy your hostessing.

    Heehee: "Women be draggin you to the Farmer's market" cracked me up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That futon is awesome - good find! The apartment looks very nice and cozy. And that mango salsa sounds really yummy. Recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray! Congratulations on reaching 'adult status'. Jason is the youngest in his family, and we're still kids at age 27 and 28 in their eyes. So way to break that glass ceiling at 23! ;) Your place looks great and can I just say, I LOVE your photography? I LOVE it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks everybody! I love the shower of comments;)

    Laura, it is a futon of the best sort, one that doesn't have a mattress that falls off and no frame to poke you in the butt. It also doesn't have cushions like a couch, so I guess it is like a hybrid.

    Brittany: I don't have a recipe because I made it up, but here is what went into it?

    ripe mangoes, roma tomatoes, sweet onion, tomatillos, garlic, lemon juice, salt n peppa, fresh jalapenos, rinsed black beans, fresh cilantro...that is all I remember.

    Maria: thank you for the recipe again also! I just recounted to my boyfriend all the delishness I remember from your mother! I think Lydia's list also covers my memories:) Thomas and I ate many a bowl of that granola sitting on the counter haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your home is gorgeous! I had a dream last night we were all hanging out in it (which of course looked nothing like it does in reality) but it deserves the rave reviews it got from Brett!

    ReplyDelete