These are all the flowers I saw on my walk to school today. I love Spring in Lawrence and will be taking pictures soon of the nature that abounds. 

I feel like my Dad, when he used to take a million pictures of our garden at our house in Grandview when I was growing up. As kids we wondered, "What the heck is he doing? Where are the pictures of the people? Who cares about plants, Dad?"

I guess we learned some lessons along the way though, because now that I struggle to afford produce, I have fond memories of his amazing vegetable garden with bunches of fresh spinach, bell peppers, lettuce, broccoli, cucumbers, green beans, herbs and more.


Not to mention the rock wall flower garden and the deck he built himself with flower planters. 




Now,  while I spend most of my days writing away in either my basement apartment or my basement office, I understand his pictures and both my parents' hard work. 


My parents made my childhood magical. 




2 Comments

  1. Makes me wish for some sunshine and a bit of level ground :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great, Rachel, thank you for the reminder of the lush environs of our childhood!

    I have one of those "oh, now I get it!" moments about Mom & Dad every day, it seems. Now that I own a home, I totally fuss over sitting on the edge of the couch or turning the lights off. Now that I have a patch of land, I am obsessing over seed catalogues. Etc. :)

    Yay for the landscaping budgets of universities, eh? Even if you're only headed between two dark basement spaces, a nice walk in the sun and flowers can do wonders for a stressed out grad student. And no weeding!

    ReplyDelete