What a Spring Break vacation it was! 

Technically I am on Spring Break still, but I have much thesis work to do for the rest of the week. K and I had a fabulous two days (the first consecutive two days we've had off together since Christmas) so we had a little vacation in KC (tight money and all). Also, I refuse to call it a "staycation" because that is a horrible word that has been, as I've coined it, amerilamed. 

Things started out excellently for me Saturday night with my sister and my beautiful niece. It may have been a photo op for my upcoming Nithya video, but it was also a decoration consult and a dinner date:) Some delicious salmon and a delicious (if experimental) tofu-chocolate pie. Did I say delicious?! And with Nithya in pigtails and stripes I was agog with photo and video fun. Here is a preview of those cuties and the updates that will come once K helps me out with getting some big girl photo editing software. 



I may have had to wait for K to get off work at 12:30 but it meant that Sunday could get started with some excellent fun. We got up and had an unexpected visit from K's Dad who joined us for coffee and then we packed up a lunch and headed off to the zoo. Yes it was cold, a little rainy, and deserted but it was much more fun than you'd think. During the first admittedly creepy part of the walk, we planned the Zombie-pocalypse we would be shooting in the old cages. We stopped for lunch and laughed at our constantly failing fun, but then the animals began. We had some really great one-on-one with the lions, hippos, rhinos and adorable monkeys. We plan on going back for the new polar bear exhibit and to see my favorites (inside due to the cold), elephants and giraffes. All in all, we both made our own fun and experienced some cool up-close encounters with animals. I had K's coat and thus survived and we will be laughing at the videos of our antics for a long time. 

I suspect my celebrity guest Blogger K will be updating with some videos, but for the time being here is a preview of pictures. 







Day One continued with a trip to Westport where we stayed at KC's first Green hotel, The Q.

I may have made K get up to catch our free breakfast:

 But the hotel was lovely and after dinner at Jack Stack, big kid milkshakes at Blanc and drinks with J&K it was a super fun day. 

Playing with the animals and fountains on the Plaza:



Day Two consisted of a marathon of shopping and driving, including a trip to Nebraska Furniture Mart. I had never been and was awed and a little scared of a single store the size of a mall with its own food court. It was kind of heavenly after a lot of apartment therapy lately, and we deliberated on the only purchase we will be making for our new apartment

It is a flipflop futon with storage. It was pretty comfy. We didn't buy it yet as we are still weighing a lot of pros and cons but it was fun to sit on a million sofas. As K put it, we are going to go in there and put our butts on stuff.  [In the spirit of this, we also made excuses to stand up next to things like fridges and rugs to make sure our butts got maximum exposure. Sorry NFM]

We generally shopped around the Legends, buying nothing but three plain t-shirts for K, but we did have a fun and crazy dining experience. We got to cross one off of our list of things we'd love to do if we ever have time because we ate at the T-Rex restaurant. I was worried that it would be horrible, lame, overpriced and full of screaming kids and was pleasantly wrong. I should listen to K's bubbling optimism more because it was a ton of fun. I recommend if you've still got a kid spirit. The animatronic dinos, lights, sounds etc. were very fun. The food was also delicious and not pricey as you'd think. I had some pretty good blackened Tilapia tacos. 





We really packed it all in for two days of break, but it was really fun. The week will be me working on my Thesis and K back to working three jobs, but hopefully there will be some video fun to come in between. Happy Lost Day! 





3 Comments

  1. Love the scowling skullface pictures! :) That's cool that you stayed at a Green hotel-- I had no idea that existed in KC. The Nithya pics are fan-freakin-tastic and I'm totally jealous of your delicious dinner. Sounds like a winner of a spring break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at that adorable smiling face! Just look at it. What could be better than happy young people? Nuthin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hair is so stinking cute

    Nebraska is a seriously scary and ginormous store

    The futon sounds super cool! Storage in a couch/bed?! SWEET!

    ReplyDelete